Online Fundraising for Clubs, Schools and Causes

Tuam Mill Museum Restoration

As visitors approach Tuam on the new M17 motorway, The Mill Museum is signposted as one of the attractions of the town. It dates originally from the 18th century, was rebuilt in the early 19th century and expanded again in the early 20th century. The Little Mill, as it was known, ceased operations in 1964, but the building contains all the original machinery in working order. 

The earliest family associated with the Mill were the Corcorans, followed by the McDonnells. In 1909, Michael Farrell, son of a milling family in Coolrea near Tuam, bought the Little Mill. He soon extended it to the four-storey building that we see today. 

The Little Mill operated as a Museum from 1974 until 1998, operated by volunteers during the summer months. However, it is not possible to open it to the public at present, since important remedial work has to be carried out. 

The Mill Trustees and Volunteers plan to build on their recent efforts, which resulted in the re-opening of the Miller’s House as a community space, and the restoration to working order of the Mill Wheel. Replacing the asbestos roof is the next step to re-opening The Little Mill as Tuam Mill Museum. We hope that many people, who have fond memories of the Mill and Riverbank, or who have family connections with the Mill and the area, will assist us to raise the money needed for this development.

For more information on Tuam Mill Museum and the Miller’s House, please see facebook.com/TheMillTuam

Supporters

2
12-09-2019

O'Farrell Family of Dash Point, Washington

500.00
21-07-2019

Tuam Mill Supporter

Best wishes for next phase of Restoration at Mill

100.00

Contact Us

Contact Details

The Mill Museum, Chapel Lane, Tuam, , IRELAND - H54 N963